02 January 2007

Is it Worth $19.99 to Get the Unlisted Address of an Ex to Whom You Want to Return Christmas Ornaments Worth Only Cents?

While I was decorating the tree on Christmas Eve, I ran across a bag full of ornaments that belonged someone with whom I lived back east. That relationship ended on a pretty sour note some years ago, but I haven't been able to bring myself to toss these ornaments made by his younger sister and mother. It seemed so wrong to pitch things made with such care for this person, no matter how badly he treated me. I've meant to return them each Christmas I've unpacked my ornaments since then, but after eight or nine years now, he's a pretty hard guy to track down. In googling his name this year, I came up with a current address, but I'd have to pay $19.99 to get it. I started wondering whether, with distance (both temporal and geographic), am I really that forgiving, or am I forgetting how I was treated?

I have a lot of family and friends back east - and around the country - who have treated me much better, who I really fear I'm forgetting. Since moving west, I have been a real slacker when it comes to keeping in touch...returning phone calls, answering emails, sending Christmas cards. Hell, I've sucked at this even with my friends nearby. Not one excuse I've considered, no matter how reasonable, explains this away. Resolution #2: I am going to be a better communicator, a better friend and family member. I am going to answer emails and return phone calls on the same day, even if it's just to make a time to call or write later. I'm going to call my Mom and my Dad once a week. I'm going to try to make amends with my sister. I'm going to return my Aunt Lin's phone call. I am going to get baby gifts off to my friends Kat and Donna. I am going to send an email every week to one person with whom I feel I haven't kept in proper touch. I think I know at least 52 people to fill up the weeks...

To kick things off, I leave Thursday night for the greater NY/Philadelphia area for five days to see a movie and have some meat pies with Mom, go to Monk's with Mel, to have a glass of wine on the stoop with Jane, and drive around with a case of Glenmorangie in the trunk with Dad. This should be a cake-walk compared to Resolution #1 (did someone mention cake?).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home